Monday, January 19, 2015

REVIEW : Everthing I Never Told You By Celeste NG


Title: Everything I Never Told You
Author: Celeste NG
Language: English
Genre: Literature And Fiction
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: PenguinPress HC
Publication Date: June 2014
Pages: 297p


Buy The Book ( Amazon | B&N Audible )


The Story 
Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet . . . So begins this debut novel about a mixed-race family living in 1970s Ohio and the tragedy that will either be their undoing or their salvation. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee; their middle daughter, a girl who inherited her mother’s bright blue eyes and her father’s jet-black hair. Her parents are determined that Lydia will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue—in Marilyn’s case that her daughter become a doctor rather than a homemaker, in James’s case that Lydia be popular at school, a girl with a busy social life and the center of every party.

I heard a lot of this book before I read it, but I didn't decide to actually read it until I saw it was the best novel of 2014 in Amazon.

At first when I finished the book I was like how I am going to review this if I ever review this, I didn't know how my feeling for this book are, so I had to think about the book for a while, but then I decided that I actually like this a lot, and it was by far one of favourite books.

The book takes you between the present and the past, so you can get a background of the family so you can learn about their feelings and how they ended up like this. Which I really like in the book ,but I sometime found boring I guess, but that doesn't mean I don't like the idea of it. And, I like how you find out what happened to Lydia later.

At first I thought this was going to be from Hannah Point of view so I wasn't enthusiast to read the book even though Hannah is my favourite character, but I really needed to know how will the family will react to this. I like how you found out what happened to the family after Lydia die, What happened to Marilyn, James, Nathan and Hannah. Every character has its own story and unique personality and somehow I relate to all of them.

However, I hate how Lydia keeps relying on her brother, and how the whole family ignores Hannah and how Hannah is kind of a creep I guess so there is some downside to the characters.

Overall I love this book so much and I am so glad I decided to read it, and I defiantly recommend this book to anyone who wants a book to read no matter what genre they like.


No comments:

Post a Comment